I read this fantastic bit of information in a book by Louise L. Hay. Louise proposed the question, "What age do you believe you begin aging at?" Hmmm thats an interesting one, there are so many sources of influence. What you heard your parents say about aging, what you heard your grandparents say about aging, what you saw and assessed was happening in other people as they aged, what media says about aging (something along the lines of maintain your youth at all costs....)
What I love about what Louise is tapping into here is that whatever your mind believes, your body will do. So when do you believe you start aging? Can you paint that picture to being 70, 80 or 100 instead of everything going "down hill" at 55 like society tells us?
When exactly do those aches and pains and "bad" eyesight start showing up? No, I'm no doctor here and I'm not here to argue with cell deterioration, but I invite you to try this concept on and ask yourself when you believe you start getting old. Notice what shows up in your experience in your body. If you believe that even at 30 parts of you are "supposed" to stop working, are they then already doing that?
Louise has a second proposition: your body is telling the story of your life. Meaning that everything that shows up on the physical plain is an expression of something going on mentally. If your interested in this concept, read Louise L. Hay's book, You Can Heal Your Life. Its a fascinating read.
After a lifetime spent connecting to my body on a daily basis, noticing when I hurt, where and why and working to open back up the spaces in my body that would rather stay closed off and not have movement flow through, I couldn't help but notice the times when I would get sick or get an injury that often correlated with other events in my life. Some were forms of self sabotage showing up. Just when life was looking a little too good and I didn't think I could handle it all or deserved it all, something would take me out of the game like sickness or injury. It was a little too hard to ignore that these instances were just coincidences. This is where Louise's work came in handy for me. I began to see that my mental beliefs were often the cause of physical ailments. And when I became aware that I was causing them to happen, they started to shift.
So why is this mind/body connection so scary for some people? Well it challenges us to take on responsibility for our own well being. I think sometimes we want to hand our health over to the professionals and say "Here please fix me" when in Louise's work, whatever is showing up for your physically is a result of your mental experience in your life. Meaning that its something thats there for you to address in order for your to heal.
I'll tell you this much, our bodies are intelligent. We spend our whole lives in them and we still haven't tapped out on discovering the infinite things we are capable of. And our bodies are trying to tell us something, if we would only listen.
I invite you to take a look for yourself, what is your body trying to say to you?
(Thank you to David for our Monday afternoon tea date that inspired this post.)
Watercolor painted in 2012
No comments:
Post a Comment